Elephant

8:31:00 PM

I've always loved elephants. When I was little, my papa and I would sit in his kitchen and draw elephants together. It was one of the first things I learned how to sketch. When I went to India in 2007, I almost had the opportunity to ride an elephant. At the Red Fort, early in the morning there are elephant rides to the top. Unfortunately, our tour guide didn't get us to the Red Fort on time. Instead of riding on an elephant, we got to walk next to them on the skinny paths leading the the fort. It was terrifying but also extremely exhilarating.

Photo Credit: Leah Elsmore India 2007, Red Fort


In South Africa, I saw elephants a few times during my semester abroad. The first time we drove through a game park, an elephant decided to cross the street in front of our van.

photo credit: Crystal Harris, 2010

When I visited the same game park a few months later, I witnessed a herd of 30+ wild elephants moving through the plains and it was one of the most incredible moments of my life. It was humbling and reminded me how small I am in the greater scheme of things.

Not only do I love elephants for being extremely intelligent, wise, kind, and powerful creatures, but I love them because they remind me of so many important things in my life. They remind me of my heritage and the places I've been.









Source: google.hu via Leah on Pinterest

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram