My Go-To Cold Remedies

2:50:00 PM

Perfect timing, I'm sick the weekend before my midterm exam.  Yikes! Hopefully resting all day, lots of vitamin C and a warm bowl of soup for dinner tonight will help me recover quickly.  Here are a few things that I find help me beat my colds and keep me cozy.

My ultimate staying warm outfit of choice: my boyfriend's well worn L.L.Bean flannel.  You can get one here

A cup of tea (Starbucks' Tazo Tea is my personal favorite!) especially with some lemon and honey.

A warm throw blanket like this one or that one

And my go-to homemade chicken noodle soup.

This is a simplified variation on my dad's recipe and makes about 2 servings.

Ingredients:
1 can of chicken broth
1/4 cup of frozen peas
1/4 cup of frozen green beans
1/4 cup of frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 or 2 chicken breasts
Udon Noodles (here is my favorite brand)
Bay leaves
Sage
Oregano
Rosemary
Olive Oil

1) Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees. Coat chicken breasts in olive oil and rub with the sage, oregano, and rosemary.  Bake for 40-50 min depending on size (if you can't tell if they are done, cut through them to make sure they aren't pink!  It doesn't matter if you cut into them to check because you're just going to chop them later)
2) In one pot bring water to a boil over medium heat.  Put in Udon Noodles and cook based on packet instruction ( I like to cook the noodles separately especially if I'll be storing the soup overnight.  If you leave the noodles soaking in the soup for long periods of time, they'll become over-saturated.)
3) In another pot: add the chicken broth, 2 or 3 bay leaves and the chopped onion.  Leave over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.  Then add the frozen veggies and cook for another 5 minutes.
4) Chop up your baked chicken and add to the soup.
5) Strain the pasta and add a single serving to a bowl.  Cover the pasta with your soup.



ENJOY!

What are your go-to techniques for recovering from a cold?



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram