Homemade Pesto

4:33:00 PM

Back when I was in college, pesto was my go to condiment.  I'd have it with pasta and slather it on sandwiches.  Now that I have access to a kitchen of my own and I don't have a college dining hall to wander into when I'm hungry, I decided to make some from scratch.  Fear not! Pesto is one of the easiest things you can make.  Here's how you do it...


Classic Basil Pesto

You'll need:
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and patted dry
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
2 garlic cloves
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. olive oil

Instructions:
1.  Heat up a small skillet on the stove and toss the pine nuts. You want the pine nuts to be a nice tan color. Be careful not to overcook them: they continue to cook after you've taken them off the stove. Let cool.
2.  In the bowl of your food processor: combine the toasted pine nuts, basil leaves, parmesan cheese, garlic cloves and salt. Process for about 10 seconds, then slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube until the pesto is pureed. 
3. Spread on some toast or enjoy with a warm bowl of pasta.

So easy right?

(Recipe adapted from The Best Pesto You'll Ever Have from A CUP OF JO)


Delish

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram