A Grown Up Take on a Childhood Favorite

10:54:00 PM

Ok. So I was a weird kid. In preschool I told my class that my favorite food was Ethiopian.  I would bring leftover sushi from home for lunch in middle school.  When I was little I'd rather eat a samosa than a slice of cheese pizza.   I wouldn't touch hotdogs and I definitely didn't like grilled cheese.  In recent years (i.e when I was a freshman in college) I adopted a pro-grilled cheese stance. As I'm living on my own and doing my own cooking, I'm falling in love with grown-up grilled cheeses.  Yesterday I made a delicious combo that I highly recommend.

For a single serving:

2 slices of bread (I chose Italian but this would also be fantastic with a wheat or sourdough)
4 white button mushrooms, sliced
Spinach
Dried oregano
Dried Thyme
Feta cheese
Olive oil
No-stick spray

1) Spread a little bit of olive oil in a medium sized frying pan and add mushrooms, spinach, oregano and thyme.  Cook over medium heat
2) After sauteing the mushrooms and spinach for 3 or so minutes, move them to a side of the pan.  Spray a little No-Stick spray in the open area and put down a slice of bread
3) Now you know what to do: put the feta cheese on the bread, scoop the mushrooms and spinach on top of the cheese and then top it with your second slice of bread
4) Cook it until both sides of the sandwich are toasted
5) Enjoy!

What an easy and delicious lunch! I paired it with some sliced green peppers for a healthy meal.  Think of all the options: brie and granny smith apples on baguette, goat cheese, craisins, and spinach on six-grain, the possibilities are endless!

Here are some of my other favorite grown up grilled cheeses from around the web that I'm dying to try:




                                               Source: howsweeteats.com via Leah on Pinterest




                                               Source: tastespotting.com via Leah on Pinterest

                                              Source: tastespotting.com via Leah on Pinterest

                                                                      Source: thegreatpantryraid.wordpress.com via Leah on Pinterest


What are your favorite combos? Don't these sound delicious?


P.S. If you ever happen to go to Cleveland you should check out Melt Bar and Grill, a restaurant dedicated to the art of grilled cheese. It is fantastic!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram